Aug 6, 2014

Elder Adamek Weekly Update - Aug. 4, 2014

Hello from Caldwell again,

The area I serve in is approximately 6 square miles. Two of those are a wildlife preserve. The rest is mostly fields with subdivisions popping up wherever a farmer decided to make some money. Certain segments of the population live in the city proper, but most people live in the county. I have stayed within these boundaries for the past 4.5 months, only leaving temporarily for other related mission business. This past Saturday, I was notified that I would be staying here for another 6 weeks. One-quarter of my mission (possibly even more) will be spent in the same area that I started. I feel old. 

Despite being in one area for 6 months, I have realized that there is always something to do and people to help. People change every day, so someone who slammed the door in our face at the beginning may have already changed their outlook on God and realized a desire to know Him better and grow spiritually. It may not seem like 6 months is a long time, but it is long enough to make substantial changes I began learning about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ during the summer before I went off to college. About 6 months later, I was baptized into the Church, having gained a firm testimony of the truths I had learned about. However, just as precious was the positive change I went through during those 6 months. I recognized things I had done in the past and began repenting, or changing, those habits and desires. I was only able to do this through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, which had been strengthened and more fully accepted during those 6 months. I continue this process of changing today. I change to become a better person and to come closer to God and Jesus Christ. 

Change happens at the pace you want it to. If you have a desire to change a certain aspect of your life or character, you can. It may take a long time, even your entire life, but you will be able to change. Change to become better. I didn't change and become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to satisfy some fleeting phase that I sometimes go through in my life, but to come closer to God and to become a better person. It's still a work in progress and it always will be. Six months isn't a long time, but it's enough time to make a difference.

Take care this week and I love you,


Elder Adamek

No comments:

Post a Comment

where you can think and write