Nov 11, 2014

Elder Adamek Weekly Update - Nov. 10, 2014

Hello everyone!

Another week rapidly passed by here in Kuna. The chill of fall and approaching winter is there, but not terrible, which I proved myself  capable of dealing with as I biked back home in shorts and a t-shirt this past week. Last night, I believe there was a slight, sleety mist falling. Refreshing. Better than summer.

We have a ward mission leader who is doing a tremendous job in his calling and has given me an example in how to magnify a calling from God. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, there is no paid ministry and the calling of ward mission leader is one to do exactly that, lead the missionary work going on within the ward. 

All callings are given through inspiration of God and the person who gets called to said position is able to receive revelation specific to their calling in order to help the people who will be impacted by their service. So, our ward mission leader is doing exactly that. He is praying, studying, praying more, studying more, and receiving specific guidance. This has been manifest in the direction he has given us to help with the missionary work. We have been visiting families and encouraging them to study the scriptures and pray for promptings, which we then encourage them to record in a journal and act upon and report in follow-up meetings with them. We haven't seen the success yet, but we are placing our faith that this simple direction will yield great things.

My companion has been experiencing back pain worse than what he lets on to me. We have a physical therapist in our ward that has been helping him and making fun of me (he is a funny guy and thinks I will be a CPA when I go home . . . haha, very funny) I have learned a lot from him and his family's example to strengthen the Spirit in their home. Elder Deal has been a great example to me of perseverance despite pain and he has continued to be positive and happy. I am learning a lot from him about being happy and positive! Every day, at the end of the day, we share three things from the day that we are grateful for. It's helped me remember what I am grateful for and ever if I feel like the day hasn't gone well, I can prove to myself that I'm wrong and that it's still been a great day. 

I have discovered for myself that Pizza Hut is not good.

Elder Deal and I have increased in what people in the mission call, companionship unity. This unity has been manifest through our teaching. Often, in a teaching appointment, one of us will forget to say something or teach something and the other will be prompted to teach that things which was forgotten! I know that this is the Spirit of God guiding us to teach those things which the people who are learning need to hear and know. This happens every day. We also complete each others thoughts and sentences and often move to do the same things at the same time. 

I was able to teach in Spanish this week! I went on an exchange with an Elder who teaches Spanish-speaking people! I went to two lessons where I didn't know what was going on or what was being said (except for a few phrases and words here and there) I got to read the Book of Mormon in Spanish and I didn't do that terribly! We had dinner that day with a family who had seen off their daughter the day before on a mission to Missouri! I also got schooled in

We helped a family move this past week and then also volunteered at the Kuna Food Bank, headquartered in the basement of a Methodist Church. It was a great time! I was reminded with all the heavy lifting that I did (which also took out Elder Deal's back) of a verse in a hymn that I love. "We are weak, but thou art able" - Guide Us O Thou Great Jehovah. Except in my case, it is mainly "I am weak, but thou art able" 

I really like this scripture as well. From the Book of Mormon: "Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

I was reminded this past week of the first time I read from the Book of Mormon. I wondered if it could be true. I kept reading and prayed to know if it was true. I know by the Spirit of God that the Book of Mormon is true. In a Zone Meeting this past week, I was reminded of the first session of General Conference while I attended as a student at the University of Minnesota. Elder Tad Callister of the Seventy spoke and posed the point "the Book of Mormon is holy scripture, just as it professes to be; if not, it is a sophisticated but, nonetheless, diabolical hoax." I couldn't believe that a leader of that Church would say that. I tested it out and I found out that the Book of Mormon is from God.

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Do good. Smile. Don't lose keys.

Love,

Elder Adamek

No comments:

Post a Comment

where you can think and write